Thursday, January 19, 2017

First Blog Assignment

My love for wine started a long time ago. Growing up with Australian parents, it was customary to have a small taste of wine. The theory among European and Australian parents was that by introducing me to it now, I was less likely to abuse alcohol later and know how to drink responsibly. From the first time I was was offered wine, I fell in love. The wine I was first introduced to was quality wine- often red. Often it was paired with our fondue, beef, or other courses for the night.

My mom continue to drink wine together today. We'll split a bottle and enjoy some cheese and meat with the wine. We'll discuss our thought about the wine. Once in college, I was introduced to box wine (not my favorite). And while everyone was enjoying their natty lite, I was enjoying my Yellow Tail. Now being able to buy whatever wine I want, I've started experimenting with my taste. While I still tend to prefer red wine (shiraz and pinot noir), I started dipping into white wine over the summer. The cooled white wine provides a great refreshing drink. I particularly enjoy J. Lohr Chardonary, introduced to my by a former Geography of Wine student. Although white wine gets the job done, I still prefer the spice and bold flavor of reds.

Out of this class, I hope to gain the ability to talk about wines. Not just talk about them, but sound like I know what I'm talking about. I'd love to be at dinner parties and know exactly what I was tasting. I want to know what flavors to look for and how to pick them out. I want to be able to walk down the wine aisle and pick out a bottle I know I will like (right now I just guess...).


No comments:

Post a Comment