Thursday, January 19, 2017

Tasting Charles Shaw Shiraz 2014


Name: Charles Shaw
Variety: Shiraz
Region: California (Sonoma and Napa)
Country: United States
Year: 2014
Price: $3.29/bottle
Wine critic review:
"So then we switched over to reds, and I thought, 'surely these will be better!!' Ha. At first I thought this was fine, but then I tasted something metallic, like biting on a penny, and finally it made my mouth feel icky. It's sour. At first, the fact that there are different flavors bubbling up is a blessed change from the previous wines, and you hope that the cacophony settles into what one might call an "interesting" wine. This goes totally the other way. It's just gross."
 
Your review:
I bought this wine because, well, it's "two buck chuck." Ive had some of their other wines in the past, and honestly, they're not bad. I also usually really like Shiraz. So, for $3, why not? Well, let me tell you. It sucked. Yeah, When I first opened it, the aroma of vinegar instantly woke up my nose. I then proceeded to taste is and it honestly tasted like chemicals with an odd metallic aftertaste. I couldn't even finish the glass. After letting it breath for about an hour, I made some Kraft mac and cheese. Turns out, cheap wine goes decently with cheap food. Still not good, but the metalic taste was not nearly as present. Overall though, the flavors are boring. Kind of Welch's grape juice with apple cider vinegar. Ew. 


Food pairing: Kraft Mac and Cheese (see above)
 
(Image from Vivino)

No comments:

Post a Comment